Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cebu Arrival

Sunday, January 10th.

We are in Cebu!

We arrived on time and followed the crowd to the Quarantine desk. Being at the back of the plane, there was a long line when we got there. No problem passing quarantine and on to the customs lines. I let Dan choose which one to take - then I was not responsible for the choice. J We got the slowest line. By the time we were ready to pass through customs there were less than a dozen people from our plane still waiting.

Then we stood at the wrong end of the luggage carousel and were able to see our bags wending their way down the hall. By the time we were done Leroy was about to crash the barrier and come looking for us! He looked tired and steamy but glad to see we made it. We walked across to greet Reza and Dorothy. Loaded up Dorothy’s SUV and headed off to Cebu City and a lively dinner at a very nice Thai restaurant.

The hotel Reza chose was full for an event but they recommended another just down the street. D and L Apartelle. The rooms were clean and adequate but a big change from the Langham! The price was a big change too. We got three nights for 300 pesos about $60 Canadian - $20.00 a night! We will be back to Cebu before going home and we will check into the Don E then. It is a lovely old Spanish home that has been totally updated and turned into a small hotel and restaurant. We had a very nice dinner and a breakfast on their beautiful private verandah.

We took a taxi to the big SM Mall in Cebu City and spent our first morning doing the mall sights starting with a manicure pedicure - have to be ready for sandals after a winter in B.C. Leroy and Dan wandered in their own directions while Reza and I stopped by anything that interested us. I never bought anything - every time I found the stores I liked it was time to do something else. How did Dan manage that?

We were trying to get my phone unlocked but apparently Motorola has more advanced security and no one was able to unlock it. Enough of malls, we took a taxi back to the hotel for siesta time and then walked up the street to Don E for a lovely, leisurely dinner.

Sunday morning we took a taxi to Ayala Mall where we would meet Dorothy for a tour of Mactan Island. We still could not get the phone unlocked and it was recommended we go back to the Cyber Zone at SM Mall where we began. Again we just found the stores I was interested in when it was time to leave… I did buy a box of Kleenex. There is no toilet paper in public toilets and nothing on which to dry your hands. Best to be prepared!

Dorothy picked us up and back we went to Cyber Zone. Again no luck with the phone. Not wanting to spend any more of my vacation having people poke around in my good phone, I offered to buy a cheap one to leave in the Philippines. Some may know what it is like to shop with techie types. Let them loose in a place like Cyber Zone and you have no control. I now own a 3G phone that will do everything but fly me home. I can phone Leroy or Reza should I get myself lost or in trouble. I can text, email, or Google anywhere in the world. It is “unlocked” for international travel so I can use it in Vancouver, Orlando, Melbourne or Bacolod just by changing the sim card. Not a bad Cebu City souvenir. Finally we can get on with our touring!

We went out to Mactan Island and strolled the shrine where Lapu Lapu and his warriors repulsed Magellan when he tried to come ashore on Cebu. Magellan was killed in the battle Both leaders are honored here.

We went for an early dinner at a Philippine restaurant. The spicy shrimps in coconut sauce were delicious. The mixed noodle dish was too. Noodles I have not seen before. I enjoyed my Green Mango shake and the other women had an interesting tapioca drink I should try with big tapioca balls that fit through an enlarged straw. The liquid is vanilla flavored.

Dorothy dropped us off early as we have an 8:30 AM flight so we will be up at 5:00 to get ready.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment